Friday, February 27, 2009

¡Pura Vida!


As of tomorrow I will have been in Zapotal for 1 week, and things are going really well. I am starting to get into the routine of getting up early and having breakfast with the family, then feeding and milking the cows, then returning to the house for a morning snack. After the snack I basically have the afternoon to myself and I spend it differently everyday; a few days ago Chichi and I went ot the nature reserve near by, which is actually a cloud rainforest! It was really cool to see all the different trees and plants, and boy they
weren't kidding when they said "Cloud
Rainforest" it is so thick with clouds that at some points you can hardly see what is in front of you! We hiked around for a while until we reached a lagoon, and then turned back. I was hoping to see some animals but unfortunately I didn't. The time went by so fast I didn't realise how long we had been gone (3 and half hours!).

Yesterday, Betty and Chichi took me to a near by pueblo (town) where Betty's mom lives. I met lots of her family, and then we went to Chichi's brothers house where we spent most of the afternoon, while all the men left to go and slaughter a cow. They brought the cow back and slaughtered it under a tree near the house (no I didn't watch, although they kept asking me to.) I could see enough of the action from where I was sitting far away, and as beef is my favourite meat I chose to stay away. It took 4 or 5 men and several hours to portion out the cow, and then they cooked some for us to eat for lunch. I must say it was very tasty, in fact it was almost kobe-beef-tasty. It was really nice weather in this town so I spent most of the afternoon enjoying the sun near the river.

Today I am in Miramar again, because Betty and Chichi needed to do some arrands. So I am using the computer at Chichi's younger brothers house. It is pretty hot here in Miramar, however in Zapotal the weather is still pretty cold. Hopefully I will be able to blog again next week, so until then adios!

xoxo Amira

No comments:

Post a Comment